Tuesday, July 8, 2008

For Bruce

It was the waterfalls that drew me there, I guess.
They were manmade; I could see their scaffolds,
their ladders, veils of water so thin they looked
more delicate than nature would have cared to attempt.
Nature knows better.

On Governor's Island, hula hoops were prevalent.
And I thought, Oh. Here's where they've gone, those
people with an agenda of interactive art installations.

A happy machine played Simon Says with me
shouting its rainbow notes of agree! and dissent!
And a warehouse attached to an old organ sang
like a big empty whale when I pressed its keys.

Look: I tried to be funny for you, to make this a
light endeavor.

You nurse your chemical drip and somehow
survive with wit while I stare at the hole in my wall
and wish I had put it there.
All day I sit and think about the endless variations
and try not to touch the deadly bottle.

No comments: